I’m always looking for a great place to keep my active toddler busy, and this week the NJ Children’s Museum in Paramus did just that! We recently visited Imagine That!!! Children’s Museum in Florham Park and had a great experience, and I hoped the NJ Children’s Museum would be just as exciting. It was great; the perfect place for kids to explore and imagine. It’s filled with hands-on, interactive exhibits perfect for toddlers and young children. The best part-each exhibit is kid-friendly, so no fear of breaking anything-and having my picture frame, snow globe, and make-up mirror fall victim to toddler destruction this week, that sounded good to me.
The museum is in a giant warehouse and contains over 20 child-themed play areas. It’s clean, interesting, and young children can happily spend a couple of hours there fully amused. We visited on a weekday morning and there were a few groups of campers there at the same time. The place is so large it did not feel crowded, but if you’re looking for a “quieter” visit, after 2 PM on a weekday is the time to go.
There are also a few special activities scheduled throughout the day that are noted at the entrance. We happened to catch an amusing storybook shadow puppet show in the theater room.
The museum is filled with an abundance of toys and play tables just right for G’s age and size. She happily kept busy toddling from one room to the next. There were so many rooms that she loved, like this baby doll play area. It was nice to see her imagination hard at work.
G had such a great time exploring each exhibit and interacting with the other kids visiting. She was completely exhausted by the time we were ready to leave. After having such a great experience, I was so disappointed to hear that, after 20 years of operation, the museum is set to close on September 1, 2014. So, if you’d like to visit make time to get there in the next few weeks.
As you can probably tell, I love pictures, so here are a bunch more of our experience at The NJ Children’s Museum, a little piece of toddler heaven. Happy viewing!
- CLOSING for good on September 1, 2014
- Free admission coupons available online. This one is available until 8/31/14. Parent Guide News
- A large parking lot is available.
- A few chairs are scattered around the rooms for adults to sit while children play
- No stroller policy
- No food sold in the museum. Lunchrooms are only available to school groups or parties. Many local restaurants nearby.
- Hand-stamping-so you can leave and come back same day
- Clean bathrooms and toy areas
- Staff was present, circulating through rooms, cleaning up and monitoring play
- Children under one are free.